A lot of students have been asking about the National Examinations Council (NECO) marking scheme and today I have decided to untie the knot and release the knowledge to you.
The National Examination Council (NECO) of Nigeria is an approved educational system that was permitted by the federal government of Nigeria in 2001, It was created in 1999.
NECO grading system is considered the easiest grading system for students, perhaps this is why neco is much much simpler compare to West Africa Examination Council (WAEC).
How the NECO Examination is Graded
Under the new neco grading system below is how neco grades your examination.
|Grade||Scale||Grade Description||US Grade|
|A1||1.00 – 1.99||Excellent||A+|
|B2||2.00 – 2.99||Very Good||A|
|B3||3.00 – 3.99||Good||B|
|B4||4.00 – 4.99||Credit||B|
|C5||5.00 – 5.99||Credit||C|
|C6||6.00 – 6.99||Credit||C|
|D7||7.00 – 7.99||Pass||D|
|E8||8.00 – 8.99||Pass||D|
In terms of number based GPA, NECO grading system looks like this
- 0 to 39% – failure (F9)
- 40 to 45% – STILL FAILURE (E8)
- 50 to 54% – Credit (C6)
- 55 to 59% – Credit (C5)
- 60 to 64% – Credit (C4)
- 65 to 69% – Good (B3)
- 70 to 74% – Very Good (B2)
- 75 to 100% – Excellent (A1)
How the NECO Examination sheet is marked (LATEST NECO Marking Scheme)
i will use mathematics as a case study;
In mathematics if you want to score A1 You need to score above 75% in neco examination which means you need to answer 75 questions out of 100 questions correctly.
If you are giving 50 questions on a subject, 75% is equivalent to around 38 questions answered correctly, mathematically this is; (38/50)×100% = 76% = A1
This is applicable in all subject so go ahead start calculating and predicting your neco score!
Recommended: How to pass neco without expo .
3 Major Examinations under NECO Grading System
- Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE): In Nigeria, the government offers six years of basic education. Three years for Junior Secondary Education. Though the mathematics courses may not be needed in higher education, both the mathematics and English language course are there for all the students. And then the students seats for the SSCE
- Junior Secondary Certificate Examination (JSCE): JSCE exams held at the final or third year of junior secondary education in federal colleges or secondary schools. Under the state government, the Junior Secondary Certificate Examination (JSCE) is held.
- National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE): after the 6th year of basic education, students who want to join the Federal Unity Colleges, students have to sit for an entrance examination. This is also called the National Common Entrance Examination. Students of Nigeria, have to seat for the two annual exams to have a seat at the Federal Unity Colleges.
I hope you find this article helpful ?. Share it with someone who you think needs it. Use any social media button.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?
- (BECE) Junior WAEC (JSS3) Result: check bece Now!
- Junior Waec (BECE): Registration/ Exam Date 2022
- Junior WAEC Past Questions and Answers
- BECE frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) & Answers
- Neco Registration 2022, Exam starting And Closing Date
I am Law P (Lawrence Patrick), Affiliate Marketer, Education Consultant, SEO Expert, Web & Software Developer.