The Yale Young Global Scholars empowers the next generation of leaders by building a global community and designing interdisciplinary programs that foster intellectual curiosity, deepen understanding and inspire creative action across all borders.
Recommended: JOIN MY BLOGGING CLASS (START A BLOG)
The Yale Young Global Scholars program provides full or partial scholarships to students aged 15-17 years with demonstrated financial need. We will award scholarship money based on need demonstrated in your completed application. Unfortunately, YYGS financial assistance cannot guarantee financial aid to all those who apply for it.
Each YYGS session is two weeks long and brings together an array of Yale’s best faculty and outside speakers to provide an intense, hands-on experience that combines lectures, seminars, and small-group discussions designed to challenge and inspire. Students do not receive course credit, but they do receive intensive training in critical thinking, verbal expression, and writing.
In order to apply to YYGS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: Be at least 16 years old by July 19, 2020 (first day of Session III).*
- English Fluency: Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level: Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date: Be graduating in May/June 2021 or 2022 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2020 or 2021 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- YYGS Participation: Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in any YYGS session during a previous summer (e.g., 2019, 2018), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2020.
Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2020.
*Please Note: This rule is so that YYGS is in compliance with Connecticut State Law for running a summer program for minors, and no exceptions can be made.
YYGS accepts applications from ALL countries, and offers the opportunity for students to apply for need-based financial aid to students from ALL countries.
YYGS reviews all applications holistically. Our staff understands that students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and with different educational and extracurricular opportunities. As a result, the essays and letters of recommendation are the most important parts of the application.
Citizens of ALL countries (all 50 states of the USA and over 100 countries)
Yale University, New Haven, USA and Beijing, China
Fields of study
YYGS offers interdisciplinary, pre-collegiate sessions, not a course or courses. YYGS will continue to offer the following sessions on Yale’s campus:
- Applied Science & Engineering (ASE)
- International Affairs & Security (IAS)
- Frontiers of Science & Technology (FST)
- Sustainable Development & Social Entrepreneurship (SDSE)
- Biology & Biomedical Science (BBS)
- Politics, Law & Economics (PLE)
Number of awards
Not specified – limited number
YYGS is able to offer a limited number of Scholarships, which are Need-Based Financial Aid packages that cover full-tuition ($6,300 USD) and travel costs.
In order to be considered for one of these scholarships (below), you MUST have completed the entire online YYGS Application, including the Need-Based Financial Aid portion, by January 15, 2020.
Method of Application
To get started:
- Step 1: Review the YYGS eligibility criteria.
- Step 2: Review the YYGS application required components.
- Step 3: Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- Step 4: You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
Complete the Application:
- Step 5: Once our application opens by the end of September, then you will be able to click APPLY NOW to start your YYGS application. Be sure to write down your email and password to access the application at a later time.
- Step 6: Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and re-visit any pages that require further information.
- Step 7: Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Finalize & Pay” button at the bottom of the page.
- Step 8: Pay the $55 USD Early Action Fee or $70 USD Regular Decision Fee.
If you submitted a completed Fee Waiver Form on the application page, this requirement will automatically be waived. YYGS staff will contact you if your Fee Waiver Request is denied, and your application will not be reviewed until the YYGS application fee is paid.
- Step 9: Check your inbox for a YYGS confirmation receipt that indicates the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, due to occasional delays payment processing.
It is important to visit the official website of Yale University for complete information before you start your application. We encourage all potential applicants to begin and complete their applications as soon as possible to ensure all materials are submitted by the deadline.
Early action application deadline is 11:59PM ET on November 12, 2019.Regular decision application deadline is 11:59pm ET on January 15, 2020.
*Students with demonstrated financial need can submit the Fee Waiver Form (located within the financial aid section of the YYGS online application) for their school official to complete, and (if approved) the waiver will reduce their application fee to $0 USD.
**Early Action applicants will receive an offer of admission OR be deferred into the Regular Decision pool for further review. Early Action applicants who are deferred into the Regular Decision pool will receive their decision of Admit, Waitlist, or Deny by March 15, 2020.
Yale University is an American private Ivy League research university in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1701, it is the third-oldest institution of higher education in the United States and one of the nine Colonial Colleges chartered before the American Revolution.
Application Deadline: 12 Nov 2019 || 15 Jan 2020
Open to International Applicants: Yes
Congrats to all Yale Young Global Scholars Applicants who will succeed!
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT? A. COMPLETE JAMB GUIDE B. ALL ABOUT WAEC AND NECO C. LATEST NIGERIA SCHOOL NEWS D. ACADEMIC AND CAREER GUIDE E. SCHOLARSHIPS AND INTERNSHIPS F. COMPLETE BLOGGING GUIDE G. PLEASE TAKE ME TO HOMEPAGE
- Apply for SEPLAT JV scholarship for 2021 - 23 July 2021
- What is Affiliate Marketing (and How to Get Started) - 21 July 2021
- Igbinedion University Post UTME/DE Screening Form for 2020/2021 - 19 July 2021